Is it acceptable to take a course from another department in addition to one in the Summer English Language Studies program?

Yes, students who wish to enroll in a SELS course and another non-SELS course may do so. Please keep in mind that all UC Berkeley courses are conducted in university-level English, unless noted. The rigor and expectations outside of the Summer English Language Program is intensive and based on English proficiency. The university requires that students demonstrate English language proficiency(link is external) in order to take non-SELS courses.