The 2024 Summer English placement exam will be released in June 2024. Please note that this date is subject to change if necessary.
Enrolled students will be notified in June if you need to take this exam.
Not all students need to take the exam. Please check your berkeley.edu email for a notification.
Information about the exam:
This is not an entrance exam. You do not need to reach a specific score in order to enroll in the Summer English Language Studies courses.* Many of our courses have multiple levels; we use your exam results only to place you into the level that best meets your language needs. Please email us if you have any questions.
- Students must first enroll through Summer Sessions to take the exam. Students who need to take the exam will receive an email on 01 June with directions. For enrollment information, go to http://summer.berkeley.edu.
- The exam is completely online and can be taken on any computer (not on a tablet or mobile device).
- You will need speakers or headphones, a microphone, and a quiet location.
- The exam has five sections: Listening, Reading, Grammar, Speaking, and Writing.
- In order to log into the exam, you will need your UC Berkeley Calnet ID and passphrase.
- To create one, you will need the four-digit PIN and your eight-digit student ID number sent to your email from Calnet @ Berkeley.
- The link to set up the Calnet ID and passphrase are also found in that email. Sometimes this email goes to spam or junk folders, so please search there first if you have not received it.
- We will post a link to the exam here in early June.
- Students must complete the exam by 25 June.
*Note: If you plan to take UC Berkeley courses outside our program, there is an English Proficiency Requirement.